Pandora sphinx
Here are a couple of pics I was just wondering if you can tell me a little about it. I live i Hawaii and its the first time Ive seen one. It has been in the same spot for two days know. Well thats about it, I know what it is just cant really find out anything about them. Other than that just thought you might like the pictures.
Miguel

Hi MIguel,
Your moth is not a Pandora Sphinx, but an Oleander Hawkmoth, Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii. Both are green moths and could be easily confused. According to Bill Oehlke’s excellent site: “The Oleander Hawk Moth, Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii (Wing span: 90–110mm) is primarily associated with “the southern Mediterranean region, North Africa and the Middle East to Afghanistan (Ebert, 1969). Along the Mediterranean, there is no clear distinction between resident and migrant populations. Permanent populations exist in suitable locations in Sicily, Crete and Cyprus; however, over a number of favourable years further colonies may be established in those islands and also in southern Italy and southern Greece, all of which die out during a hard winter.” “Extra-limital range. From Afghanistan eastward to south-east Asia and the Philippines; as a migrant, it penetrates northwards into central Europe and central southern Asia. In 1974, this species was recorded as having established itself in Hawaii (Beardsley, 1979). ” Later the site states: “Deilephila nerii ‘rests by day, either on a solid surface or suspended among foliage with which it blends; the head is tucked in, with the thorax and abdomen raised off the underlying substrate. Most emerge late in the evening but do not take flight until just before dawn, to feed avidly from such flowers as Nicotiana, Petunia, Lonicera, Saponaria and Mirabilis. Thereafter, flight periods are mainly just after dusk and before dawn. Under warm conditions, adults are extremely wary and, if disturbed, will take flight even during daylight hours.’ ” The host food plant for the caterpillar is the Oleander and the use of this plant as an ornamental is primarily responsible for the range expansion.