What is the common and scientific name of this moth?
I photographed this moth in my back yard last summer in Billings MT. Thank you,
Rainer Connell.

Hi Rainer,
This is the first photo we have gotten of the adult Leafy Spurge Hawkmoth, Hyles euphorbiae. We have received several images of the conspicusly marked and colored caterpillar. According to Bill Oehlke’s awesome website: “The leafy spurge hawk moth, Hyles euphorbiae (length: 2-3 cm, wingspan: 5-7 cm), was the first classical biological agent released against leafy spurge in the United States, with approval for introduction granted in 1965. Populations of this insect are present in several western states, including Montana, Idaho, North Dakota and Oregon. The moth was also introduced from Europe into Ontario, Canada, and then into Alberta where specimens are occasionally still taken. I recently received an image of larva (July 2003) from Neepawa, Manitoba.” We tried locating this species on BugGuide and there is no posting. May we post your image there as well?

Yes, you may post my photo.Thank you for your help in identifing this moth. I have sent you an identified photograph. I am a 12 year old photographer. My mom caught this moth on our fence and put it in the fridge for a few minutes so I could photograph it. I finally got around to identifing it and could not find it in any books so I e-mailed you. Thank you for all the help and I will e-mail you if I need any more insects identified.
Rainer