Unknown Green & yellow bug
Hi, my name is Kathleen and I live in the southern part of New Jersey. I hope you can help me identify this little creature my spouse found in our apartment last night. My spouse and I spotted it on my oil lamp trying to climb up the strand that the ‘rain drops’ come down on. (It was having trouble because of the oil that was on there,though the lamp was off at the time.) We were able to get him out and put him in a water bottle with a small amount of water to rinse the oil off of it. (We also put many air holes in the bottle.) I searched the pics on your site and think it may be a true bug or stink bug…but I am not an expert and none were green with yellow spots like mine. Please give me any info you can on the creature and what we should do with it. I have attatched some pics (hope they help).
Thank you so much;
Kathleen & Bob
PS Your site is great! (So much info!)

Hi Kathleen and Bob,
This is a Stink Bug. We believe it to be in the genus, Chlorochroa, probably Chlorochroa sayi, Say’s Stink Bug.

Update From Eric Eaton:
” The green stink bug is actually Banasa euchlora, substantially smaller than a Chlorochroa. I can see how the markings are confusing, though”