Moth and katydid
Attached are two pictures of a moth and one of a female katydid. Both species were photographed at low elevations in southwestern Oregon. The moth was at a Tansy Ragwort flower in late summer close to the coast, and there may have been two species present or both sexes of one species. I suspect it (they?) is a member of the genus Ctenucha. I found the katydid on our deck after a cold night in late autumn and I placed it on a leaf to photograph it. I think the katydid is a member of the shield back group (given that structure, it should be!), but I have not been able to identify it. Your website is excellent. If you can use these photographs in any way, please feel free to do so.
Bob Pollock
Roseburg, OR

Hi Bob,
Your moth is a Ctenucha and we wrote to Eric Eaton to see if he recognized your Katydid. Here is his response: ” Well, that’s just plain bizarre! I don’t recognize it, and it is very difficult to tell anything conclusive from a dorsal aspect alone. However, it does remind me of an insect in the katydid genus Neduba. The powers that be have reorganized that genus, so I couldn’t begin to tell you what species it might be. There is also always the possibility that it is something exotic that got loose. My bet would still be on Neduba. Any chance this person can post it to Bugguide where it will get more (professional) eyes looking at it? Eric ” We would like to post your Katydid on BugGuide to see if we can get an exact species. If you don’t mind, please let us know.

Ed. Note: Eric Eaton continued to research including getting an expert opinion from Rick Westcott who is retired from the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture. Here is that information on the Sierra Shieldback, Neduba sierranus :
Holotypic male, from Orthoptera Species File Online (Naskrecki & Otten 1997+), Of course, the image you sent is of a female. If not the same species, it is close. The same Google search did not turn up this species as occurring in Oregon. Cheerio chap, Rick Westcott, retired from the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture ” Eric concluded with this comment: “Wish my friend had included the species name with this image of a Neduba, but at least he lists the site. The submission could well be a range extension for the species, don’t know yet.”

Hi again, Attached are two more photographs of the unusual katydid. One is from the side and the other is a close-up of the unusual dorsal structure. The katydid was so different from other katydids I have seen that I should have collected it but, of course, I didn’t. I hope it’s not an exotic that might prove to be a problem – we have more than enough of those already! I didn’t measure it, but the katydid was about the same size as the Fork-tailed Bush Katydids I had photographed in the summer. If anyone needs higher-resolution files for identification purposes, please let me know. And please feel free to post the pictures on BugGuide. Thanks for all your help and for the Ctenucha verification.
Bob