Lovely Unknown Bugs from Australia
Hi there,
Firstly I love your website and I’ve spent a considerable amount of time looking for my beasties there, to no avail. I’m not sure that you accept submissions from Australia, but I am hoping that you will be able to help me identify these fellas. I should say, I am in the Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia and these guys were found in my garden. The orange monster was uncovered whilst digging over some soil for planting, the green guy was just wandering across the grass. Thank you in advance for having a look at my buddies.
Cheers
Jenna

Hi Jenna,
Your beetles are beautiful and the photos are great as well. In the most general sense, the orange on is a Scarab Beetle in the Family Scarabidae. We did a quick web search and cannot exactly identify them but when we have more time, we will try again.

Update from Eric Eaton:
” Well, all I can tell you is that I’m pretty certain the green one is not a scarab, but a stag beetle (something on the order of Neolamprima???). I”m surprised there is not a great website on Australian beetles or something. Maybe subfamily would help? Likely that the spotted one is a flower scarab (Cetoninae). I’ll try digging from work tomorrow. Eric “

Update: (07/18/2007) mystery stag beetle found!!!
I ran into a website selling bugs and they have what looks like the spiecies of green stag beetle you guys at WTB have been looking for. I’ve attatched a picture of the beetle and a link for the site I’ve found it on, it says the beetle is called Neolamprina adolphinae. Sorry I can’t help you with the orange and black spotted beetle
Roger

2 Responses to Mystery Australian Scarab and Stag Beetle

1. drtjhawkeswood says:

The spotted species is Polystigma punctata (Scarabaeidae: Cetoniinae) and the other one is Lamprima aurata (male) or L. latreillei (Lucanidae). Information on both species can be found in my Beetles of Australia book and in relevant papers on my website http://www.calodema.com (use the search feature)

Best regards, Trevor

2. Barb Dodson says:

Thank you. I have just sent in a photo of this same beetle, also in Yarra Valley. No need to deal with my request now.