whats this bug?
I found hundreds of these tiny bugs on my butterfly bush (milkweed) today. Are they bad or good bugs? Do I need to kill them? Love your website!
Carolyn
Lecanto, Florida

Hi Carolyn,
This is an Aphid and they can be destructive when plentiful. We recommend either just hosing them away or spraying them with mildly soapy water. Dish soap diluted will work fine.

Update from Eric Eaton (01/04/2006)
“The yellow aphid is an Oleander Aphid, believe it or not. They apparently find milkweed and oleander interchangable.”

2 Responses to Oleander Aphid

1. Ruth says:

I have MANY large oleanders on my property, that we have just noticed are COVERED with aphids. I would definitely say it is a severe infestation. Don’t think dish soap will cut it. We are in the High Desert of Cali. It is late spring, will buying lady beetles do the job or must we attempt to prune less than a third of the foliage? Please help! They are to beautiful to lose.