Manduca rustica?
I couldn’t find out what kind of caterpillar I had, but with the help of your (wonderful) site I think I found it…The Manduca rustica. My dad found it while digging in his garden planting new flowers. Could you tell me what it eats, and how to care for it? Thank you!!
Sarah
Mesa, Arizona

Hi Sarah,
According to Bill Oehlke: “Larvae feed on fringe tree ( Chionanthus virginicus ) and jasmine ( Jasminum species ) in the olive family (Oleaceae), and on bushy matgrass ( Lippia alba ) and Aloysia wrightii in the vervain family (Verbenaceae), and on knockaway ( Ehretia anacua ) in the borage family (Boraginaceae), and on Bignonia species like Desert willow ( Chilopsis linearis ) in the Bignoniaceae family. Larvae have also been reported on Tecoma stans, Callicarpa americana, Fraxinus, Helianthus annuus, Heliotropium, Lagerstroemia indica, Lantana camara, Ligustrum japonicum, Ligustrum ovalifolium, Plumeria acuminata, Plumeria alba, Ligustrum vulgare, Sesamum indicum, Syringa vulgaris, Trichostema dichotomum, Annona squamosa, Gossypium herbaceum and Himatanthus sucuuba . The caterpillar has numerous white nodules on top of the thorax and seven pairs of oblique, blue-gray stripes along the side of the body. The horn is white at the base and blue-gray at the tip. Host plants also include Crossvine, bignonias, and various members of the forget-me-not and vervain families.”