What kind of spider is this?
Hello, I currently live in Sacile, Italy. Tonight I spotted a bright green spider on my wall and tried to take the best pictures I could of it before my husband killed it. I thought it might be a green huntsman spider, but I’m just not sure. It was slightly larger than the size of a nickel with it’s legs. Would you be able to identify it, and is it a dangerous spider? I really appreciate your help! Here are the pictures below. Sorry they are not very clear, my camera obviously doesn’t work well with small images. Thank you so much,
Leslie

Hi Leslie,
We had not heard of a Green Huntsman Spider, and your photo looked so unusual and pretty that we tried to do some research. We found a page that had photos of a Green Huntsman Spider, Micrommata virescens. There really wasn’t much information including the range, but the spider seems to resemble your spider. Further searching of the scientific name lead us to another page with plenty of information and images. The Green Huntsman Spider does indeed live in Europe. We think you have correctly identified your intruder.

14 Responses to Green Huntsman Spider

1. carol says:

found 2 luminous . green spiders in my garden do not know what they are could they be poisonous. about the size of a 5p with a raised body

2. isabell says:

how poisonous is the green huntsman spider.

Nearly all spiders have venom, but very few are dangerous to humans. According to British Spiders: “Status Very local and rarer in the north. Although this spider is not that easy to find, in spite of its size and colour, it is unlikely to be overlooked when seen by either general naturalists or arachnologists, and there appears to have been a long term decline. Threats The reasons for the decline in this species are unclear, but may be related to general landscape degradation in lowland Britain and fragmentation of semi-natural habitats.” No information is provided on danger to humans, which leads us to believe there is none. According to iNaturalist: “A bite from this spider on a human may cause some local swelling and a little bit of pain, and would be gone within 2 days.”

3. Pamela Sturt says:

sad that this little green spider was killed

4. Ash says:

I have just released a Green Huntsman into the wild! He has been in my car for a few months. Probably from where I live in the summer in SW. France. He was a beautiful specimen. I hope he does alright. Fancy that Italian killing the one his wife found! Unbelievable! What an idiot! No wonder these species are becoming rare. I have seen the brown ones in Australia. They are massive,but harmless. Regards, Ash

5. Sue Henderson says:

27th Dec. 2015
    Thanks very much for the great photo of a Green Huntsman Spider. Have just put a very lively, bright green spider outside into the shrubbery.

6. Sue Henderson says:

27th Dec. 2015

7. Sue Henderson says:

Sorry, just to add to my comment above. I live in S.W. France.

8. Crystal M says:

I found one exactly the same on my ceiling. I live in NSW, Australia

9. Patricia says:

We live in mid west France found one of these today, thought because its green it must be ok so I set it somewhere safe.
    God makes the bad ones red or aggressive looking.

10. Patricia says:

11. Pamela says:

Tho really no such thing as a “bad” animal (I include bugs as animals)…

12. Julie Ward says:

These are very common where we live in central portugal took me ages to find out what they were.

13. Patricia says:

I have just discovered a micrommata ligurina in my kitchen. It seems to be quite shy bobbing around behind my spice cupboard. I live in Mataelpino, in the Community of Madrid Spain. My garden is absolutely full of wildlife of all kinds and so it was fun discover a new resident.