What’s that bug
I found this bug by a Palo verde (Cercidium microphyllum) tree that had just been cut down. It is quite large, latex white, and has 9 black spots on its sides. Each of the first three segments has two small, thornish legs on opposite sides. It is about four inches long, and one inch wide at the head. Help me identify this! It’s the largest bug, much less caterpillar, I’ve ever seen. (Also, it’s a little transparent. I can see a long dark line running lengthwise.)
John
Phoenix, AZ

Hi John,
This is a grub from a long horned borer beetle known as the Palo Verde Root Borer, Derobrachus geminatus. The adults are large eye-catching beetles with strong jaws. We have some photos of them on our numerous beetle pages.

3 Responses to Palo Verde Root Borer Grub

1. Cynthia Lew says:

How do you get rid of the larva they have killed two palo verde trees just found a larve that was 6-7 inches thick as my thumb!! How do I kill them and can i plant in the same area again
    Thanks Cynthia

2. Cynthia Lew says:

Thanks Cynthia