what’s this moth?
I found this moth in my kitchen in southern Mexico City this morning (December). I didn’t think it was even a real bug at first, but it is. It has a red and black abdomen. The green markings are actually greyer than they look in the photo. What the heck is it?
Thank you,
Elizabeth Collins

Hi Elizabeth,
We are so sorry to disappoint you, but we have no idea what your Mexican beauty is. Perhaps if we post it, someone will write in with a reply.

Ed. Note: (12/20/2005)
Eric Eaton just wrote in the following comment. ” The Mexican beauty moth is a tiger moth of some kind, family Arctiidae. Probably won’t be too hard to track down. I’ll see what I can do with my references. Looks like that Mexican tiger moth might be in the genus Idalus. Lots of very similar-looking species in that group anyway.”

Update: 01/15/2007)
Unidentified Mexican Beauty: Tiger Moth – Anaxita decorata
Hey Guys,
I think I figured out what your “Mexican Beauty” is:
http://www.texasento.net/Anaxita.htm
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for doing this research and informing us about the Decorated Beauty. Normally, we do not post updates on our homepage (only to the archives), but this little gem deserves reposting. Thanks again.

Location: Mexico