burrow id??
Would you pls be able to take a guess at what lives in this burrow??? I live in Victoria [Australia] and this hole was found in [my garden. I pour water down the hole and it is rebuilt the next day.]
Kelly

Hi Kelly,
WE cannot give you anything conclusive. Because of the silk, we are inclined to guess a spider.

Thanks. I now have the occupant of the burrow. Would you know how I go about having it identified???
Many thanks,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,
This is some species of Tarantula. They often live in burrows. We would love to post your original burrow photo which we seem to have misplaced. Could you please resend it. We located a great website by Steve Nunn devoted to Australian Tarantulas.

I sent the pics to another gentleman and here is his reply…
“Dear Kelly,
Living in Queensland my knowledge of Victorian spiders is not as good as it is of Queensland ones. However, your spider is definitely a primitive spider (i.e. a mygalomorph) and appears to be a Chenistonia species. In Queensland the equivalent spider is Namea salanitri which also places a sheet web over its burrow entrance during the day. Your spider has a size not much smaller than a funnel-web but its venom is not considered to be particularly dangerous to humans unlike funnel-web venom. If there are more in the back yard, leave them there. They are unlikely to do you any harm although the males may come above ground in the breeding season (which I suspect will be autumn for this species) and may surprise you.
Ron Atkinson
USQ CRICOS No. 00244B”
Are you sure it’s a type of Tarantula? Do they have burrows??? If you can provide any further info I would be grateful. Regards, Kelly

Hi Kelly,
We would always defer to the local expert. We can tell you though that Tarantulas are considered Mygalomorphs. They are, as Ron states, primitive spiders. Mygalomorphs include not only Tarantulas, but also Trapdoor Spiders and Purseweb Spiders.

One Response to Australian Tarantula

1. Damo says:

It’s a trapdoor spider, bite symptoms include localised pain and swelling as well as nausea. Not leathal, but will make you wish it was.