Fiddler Beetle
What a great site!!
I came across it while I was searching for a name to put to this lovely beetle I found wandering across my living room carpet one afternoon – the cat was eyeing it off as a snack so I rescued it. From the beetles’ odour, general and mandible morphology I guessed that it might be a eucalypt blossom eater (Gum tree flowers have a distinctive honey/eucalyptus smell) and sure enough, he/she took to a sprig I picked for it like it was candy. So I took photos and released it in native scrubland. The last I saw, it was happily scurrying under a nice damp rotting log. Anyhow, the Australian Museum was kind enough to help me identify it as a Fiddler Beetle, Eupoecila australasiae, but I could not help but share this beautiful creature with you and your readers.
Regards
Ruth
Sydney, Australia

Hi Ruth,
Thank you so much for sending in your photo and letter. We got another image of a Fiddler Beetle a few weeks ago, and couldn’t possitively identify it, so we just gave it the generic name of Scarab Beetle, a reference to the Family.