THANK YOU
PLEASE KEEP THIS E-MAIL/PICTURES ANONYMOUS, although you can feel free to post it or sections of it.
Background:
Last Summer, I heard about whatsthatbug.com on NPR. I sent you a few pictures and read almost every page. It’s been a few months since I visited the site (sorry)…
Story: A little over a week ago, my wife (an inner-city school teacher) had to physically restrain a student involved in a fight. Her hands and fore-arms contacted his hands, forearms and shoulders for a total of several minutes. Two nights ago, she complained of bad itching on her hands and forearm. The next day it seemed to go away. But, the next afternoon, seemingly out of nowhere, she broke out in a rash of sorts all over her forearms and behind her legs. As evening approached, she said the itching had become unbearable. At first, we thought it was an allergic reaction to a new soap she had recently bought, so we were going to buy some benadryl and leave it at that. THEN I remembered a story from whatsthatbug.com about scabies. The night time itching-increase was my memory trigger. We went to an urgent care facility and, with no prompting from us, the doctor declared that she had scabies! Our best guess about contact is the student, as we have traveled nowhere in years, and not shared any clothing with others. She and I have been prescribed the 12 hour cream, and I am currently in my 9th hour of treatment (I was treated because I share her bed and have had skin contact). We also have to wash all of our clothes and linens in hot water and we left our pillows outside overnight in 15 degree weather, because freezing often kills them, too. I’d like to thank you for posting the story about scabies on your site, because we might have waited another day or so without getting treatment if I hadn’t read it! By then, who knows how much worse it would have gotten for everybody in our family! Attached are pictures of her "rash", although the fact that she scratched them up makes it a bit harder to identify as a typical scabies rash (so says the doctor). Still thought it might make a nice addition to the page.
AGAIN, PLEASE KEEP ANONYMOUS.

Dear Anonymous,
Teaching in the school system, be it public or private, elementary or college level, is often similar to living in a Petrie Dish. Though we sympathize with your situation, we are happy to hear our site was helpful. We hope you both stop itching soon.

3 Responses to Scabies Infestation

1. ashleyw2005 says:

I know firsthand what it’s like to suffer from scabies. I had it in middle school and the itch truly was unbearable. I was treated and had to go through the ritual clothing/bedsheet washing. I remember writhing on the floor, crying because of the overbearing itching sensation…

2. Adrian Demar says:

Scabies is spread by direct, prolonged physical contact including sexual activity. It is thought that about 20 minutes of touching is required. Scabies mites can survive away from humans for about 24–36 hours, so it is possible to get scabies from infected articles such as bed linen and clothing, although this is much less common. Scabies is common around the world and can affect anyone. Pets do not cause human scabies infections. ,-“‘

With best regards <http://healthwellnesslab.com/index.php/