Big Bug in Texas
Hi there! This bug looks to be half stink bug/beetle/spider and dinosaur??? My three year old son and I live in Spring, Texas (about 35 miles north of Houston) and we went into the back yard this past Saturday (December 3, 2005) and this little monster was resting on one of the arms of my lawn furniture. I have started seeing them around my office building as well for the last year and a half. I work in downtown Houston and haven’t met a person yet who knows what these little creatures are. I’ve even looked around online trying to find SOME clue but haven’t had any luck, since I don’t know what they’re called … or what bug family they’re in (beetle family? strange bug family? pre-hisoric bug family?) I know it seems to be able to see pretty well. It was watching my three year old son closely when it thought he might be getting a little too close (and… of course my sreams didn’t help much) … it flies really well too! Anxiously awaiting your reply…
Alida in Texas.

Hi Alida,
This is a Coreid Bug, also commonly known as Leaf Footed Bugs or Big Legged Bugs. This particular specimen is in the genus Acanthocephala, probably Acanthocephala declivis.

2 Responses to Leaf Footed Bug: Acanthocephala

1. Sharon says:

I accidentally leaned back on a pillow where one of these bugs was sitting and it stung me. I thought I had been stung by a wasp. It just left a red bump, like a mosquito bite but the sting sure was painful for a minute.

2. Cindy says:

One of these ugly things landed on me. Of course I overreacted and flung it off. The dogs got excited at my reaction and naturally came to examine it. It sting my Chihuahua in the eye. I immediately killed the bug then iced her eye. She seems fine now. I’m in the Midwest, near Chicago.