can you help with our little green bug?
We found this little green bug in Cape Henlopen State Park, Delaware, while hiking near the Delaware Bay in early October. My son spotted it on the underside of a tree leaf in a wooded area. We can’t seem to find anything similar in any of our insect identification books. It’s quite small (1/2 inch?), as the thumb in the picture belongs to my 9-year old son. You have an awesome website, and we enjoy the great pictures. Thanks for your help!
Janine

Hi Janine,
This is an immature Assassin Bug. We will need to to more research to try to get an exact species. Nymphs are often impossible to positively identify.

3 Responses to Immature Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

This is a nymph of Zelus luridus, the common eastern Zelus species.

2. Chris Scott says:

Do they bite or sting. My grandson just got bit by a very small green bug in the back seat of my car. If it is an immature assassin bug, can he have a reaction to it?

Assassin Bugs will bite if carelessly handled. To the best of our knowledge, there is no permanent damage from a bite, only local sensitivity and swelling.