Check out my new friend
May friend in South Africa sent me this pic and was wondering what it was Thanks.
Robert

Hi Robert,
This is the second South African Bush Locust photo we received this month.

(12/08/2005)
I believe the African Bush Locust pictures you have posted are the Koppie Foam Grasshopper (Dictyophorus spumans). It is indeed Pyrgomorphidae. The Bush Locusts are all supposedly very toxic, and the black & red Dictyophorus is no exception.
Chad

4 Responses to South African Bush Locust

1. Madelein Burger says:

Hi, do you have a pic of the “renosterbos-springkaan (hekka eenderm)”? We would really like to see how it looks.

To the best of our knowledge, we do not have the photos your requested, and we know of no creature with the name you provided.

2. Sharon says:

Hi, we have just moved into a new house in Constantia Kloof, two, of those Black and Red grasshoppers ((no blue) are in our garden and we have a Rottweiler, will they harm her in any way and how do we get rid of them without squashing them

The Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers in the family Pyrgomorphidae may cause problems if ingested. We do not provide extermination advice.