silver fish???
I came across your site about a week ago and was trying to find out what kind of bugs were the ones I kept on seeing in my new apartment. Especially by the base of the fridge and the nearby baseboards. I had just moved in and had never seen such weird creatures…seemingly intelligent…but nasty at first look, especially when they runaway soooo fast!!! it’s like roaches on speed or something…someone said they could be Silver Fish…is that right??? What else do u know about them??? and how do I get rid of them???? Also…can they carry any diseases??? how big do they get???
if it doesn’t swim why do they call it a fish??? I’ve enclosed a close up shot of the BUG….along with a portrait with its brother…or sister??? thanks for your help
Antonio

Hi Antonio,
This is indeed a Silverfish. They are among the most primitive insects living today. They are so called because their bodies are covered with shiny thick scales and also because of the way they wriggle when they run. they are slippery and difficult to catch. They feed on dry organic debris, and they eat paper especially if it contains sizing or glue. They can do considerable damage to books. They are not disease vectors.