Potato Bug Invasion
Isn’t the Internet fantastic. Search and you shall find. I found this bug in my apartment building. I left my apartment to do my laundry and when the elevator door opened this huge bug was in front of the elevator. I ran back up stairs to have my friend come get it. It appeared as though it had died. Taking the necessary precautions, cup and envelope in hand, he scooped him up and placed him in the sun. We watched as the warmth gave him life again. It became very active thereafter. We are still puzzled how the bug gained entry into the highly secured building. LOL I believe it was around 2 1⁄2 to 2 5/8 in length.
Tracy
Playa del Rey , California

Hi Tracy,
Our best guess is that somebody leaked the security code to the crafty Potato Bug. Barring that, perhaps the critter just hitched a ride in on something that had been stored outside, even a potted plant.