Are these rain beetles
I was cleaning my pool this morning just before preparing to close it for the winter and out of nowhere, I found a bunch of these guys floating around. AT first I thought that they were bark beetles as the pool was directly under a large Ponderosa Pine but upon a bit of internet sleuthing, and since it rained for the first time yesterday, I think perhaps these are rain beetles. Is that correct? If so,are they a benign insect or do these do damage to the tree roots? Should I be concerned about them. Please advise……….
Stuart

Hi Stuart,
What a nice collection of Rain Beetles, Pleocoma species, you have amassed. Though they feed on tree roots, they are never plentiful enough to do any damage.

One Response to Rain Beetles

1. Gene St. Denis says:

Daniel and Stuart , after reviewing the provided images I believe that you have some wonderful male Pleocoma staff Beetles ! The larvae will eat Pine , Oak, Ceanothus Buck Brush , Deer Brush , Etc. , what ever is the Prevalent Food Source and Long Lasting / Lived in that Exact Area Environment . Cheers ! Gene St. Denis Sierra Nevada Research