wow
We, the kids and I (mom) are looking to identify a pupae we found under ground. It seems that is not possible, so many look the same at that stage. Anyway, we found your site and it is going on the top of my bookmarks now and forever and ever. Beautiful job you’re doing. Thank you. We decided to try for identifying this pupae anyway, hoping it’s large size and distinctive hook will help. We are in southern Indiana. This pupae was found about 3 inches underground in loose clay, yesterday.
Kerra

Hi Kerra,
This is most definitely a Sphinx Moth Pupa. The hook is the case for the proboscus, the long strawlike mouthparts. In some tropical Sphinxes, the proboscus can be 10 inches long. In the adult moth, it is coiled and only unfurled during feeding, which is done while flying. We are not sure of the species, but if it was found near where tomatoes are grown, it could be a Tomato Hornworm, Manduca sexta.