Tussock Moth Caterpillars?
While in Maine this August, I snapped some nice photos of what I think are various kinds of tussock moth caterpillars; am I right? Oh, and your site is basically Nirvana.
Johanne

Definite-marked Tussock MothBanded Tussock Moth

Hi Again Johanne,
Sorry for the delay, but our internet access was down for a week and mail really piled up. We agree that two of you caterpillars are known as Tussock Moths. The third is possibly, but we are unable to be more conclusive due to the camera angle. The two that are Tussock Moths are from different genera, however. We believe one to be the Definite-marked Tussock Moth, Orgyia definita. Family Lymantriidae. This Family is known as the Tussock Moth Family. The other is probably the Banded Tussock Moth also known as the Pale Tussock Moth, Halysidota tessellaris, which is in the Family Arctiidae, the Tiger Moths.

Location: Maine

5 Responses to Two Tussock Moth Caterpillars

1. SB says:

The plural of genus is genera, not genuses.

Thanks for catching that grammatical error on this old posting. We have learned much over the years because of our research on What’s That Bug? and if you look at more current postings, you will see that we now use the correct pluralization of the term genus.

2. i have a pussy willow and these small caterpillars are striping them of their leaves. they have black heads and green and orange bodies

3. Spwhite says:

My friend found orange tussock caterpillar on eggplant. I’m having trouble id’ing it. Any ideas?