Some type of shield bug?
We have some type of Shield Bug (we think), and were wondering if you could help us identify it, an maybe pass along any information on it. We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California (Between San Jose and Santa Cruz), it is a forrested area, Redwoods, Douglas Firs, and some oak. It is a true bug with 8 legs, and as I said we think it is a type of shield bug. My 5 year old daughter has twice captured this bug, and has named him (?) Harold. Any information you could pass along would be great, she loves bugs and we hope to encourage this passion.
Alissa and Rowan
PS. Are you familiar with the Video "A Day With Bugs"? If so could you suggest any other similar insect videos for children, we watch this one at least once a day. Thanks Again.

Hi Alissa and Rowan,
You are correct. This is a Shield Bug, Family Pentatomidae. This is actually a Brochymena, one of the predatory Stink Bugs. It is well camouflaged for blending in with tree bark. They are found in orchards, woods and isolated trees. They feed on caterpillars and other soft bodied insects.
We are not familiar with the video you mentioned, but personally we love Microcosmos.