unidentified ctenuchinae moth????
Hi …LOVE YOUR SITE!!!…. anyways , I am an ex-northerner , now living in the mountains of Costa Rica. I have started a bug/moth/butterfly collection. Your site has been invaluable to me because even though I am living in the tropics and many of the insects are different , the families and classification remains the same and for some of the insects /butterflies even narrowing that down has been a help. But now I am stumped!!! …. I found these two moths within a day of each other in the early morning sitting in the sun..not that far from each other. I have spent weeks and weeks on the internet trying to make a positive ID…(that’s how I came across your site) the best I could do was Arctiidae (Ctenuchinae) or family sphingidae.. and I am not even sure this is right . I have enclosed a photo of both … I am assuming the smaller one on the left is a male (the abdomen has shrivelled somewhat but there are claspers on the bottom)and the larger one on the right is female . Any help would be appreciated…. thank you in advance!
Theresia
Barva, Costa Rica

Hi Theresia,
We agree that this is a Ctenuchine Tiger Moth and not a Sphingid. Sorry we can’t help with the species. We seem to recall having looked at a tropical Ctenuchine site last year but we were unable to locate it.

Identification Courtesy of Julian Donahue
These appear to be a male (left) and female of the large (in both size and number of species) Neotropical tiger-moth genus Amastus, most likely A. episcotosia, described by Dognin from Panama in 1901. These arctiines are much larger than most ctenuchids; these individuals have a forewing length of nearly two inches (5 cm)–but then there’s nothing to indicate scale in the photo.
Julian