ladybug mystery
Could you help me?
I found this black ladybug and I can’t identify it. P.S. I didn’t take the picture,I found it, but not the name of the ladybug.
anonymus.

Hi Anonymous,
Your ladybug goes by the melodramatic name Two-Stabbed Ladybird, Chilocorus orbus.

Correction: (10/20/2005) from Eric Eaton
“Sorry, forgot to mention the twice-stabbed lady beetle. That is not what the image is of. It is possibly a melanic (black) version of the two-spotted lady beetle, Adalia bipunctata. Not uncommon in Europe, don’t know about here in the states. Other possibility is the black form of the ashy gray lady beetle, Olla v-nigrum. Could be something else entirely, but those two are at the top of the suspect list, and in that order. The white markings on the pronotum (top of the thorax) say that it is NOT Chilocorus. Chilocorus species all have a solid black pronotum. ”

Correction: November 23, 2010
We just received numerous comments identifying many of our Lady Beetles and Larvae as Asian Multicolored Lady Beetles, including this black individual.

One Response to Asian Multicolored Lady Beetle

1. nedved says:

This is the invasive Asian Multicolored Lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis. Hybrid between the melanic morph called conspicua and common red, black-spotted form succinea.