Reddish Grasshopper
Hi WTB,
The site is awesome. I have learned alot about the insects and spiders I have been photographing lately from WTB but I am stumped on this one. This 2 1/2" grasshopper was on the backdoor of my lake house in early September. The location is North Central Florida. It’s hilly and sandy with alot of lakes. The town is Keystone Heights Florida. It’s about 25 miles from Gainesville. The reason for all the location info is that I know some insects can be specific to an area. If you could help me with this species, I would appreciate it. Also, I have some really cool shots of some Green Lynx Spiders feeding on Bees and Skippers on wild flowers. Let me know if you want to see them. From what I understand, they are your favorites.
Adam Hartmann

Hi Adam,
You couldn’t find your Carolina Locust, Dissosteira carolina, on our site since yours is the first photo we have received. This cinnamon brown locust matches the color of dry southern soil. This species is wide ranging despite the state specific name. It is nowhere near as destructive as other locusts.

One Response to Carolina Locust

1. Elaine says:

Found a beautiful locust in the grass this morning. It didn’t seem anxious to go anywhere, so I kept it in a jar for a while to observe it. Early this evening I let it out, and it was quite slow to go anywhere, but then began crawling over our deck, then disappeared when I wasn’t looking. Had seemed too slow (feeble?) to fly, but perhaps it didn’t. Beautiful black[lined transparent wings.
    Black and white on body. Probably 2.5 inches long. Very interesting creature.