What bug is this?
Hi Bugman,
I’m hoping maybe you can help me to identify this bug. This is the 2nd one I’ve found in my home and I was a little worried as my 1 year old ended up getting a very high fever today. Then I noticed this critter running across the floor. (And it was fast) It then occured to me that maybe he was bit by it earlier. I’m not certain, maybe just paranoid. But I have never seen anything like this before. To me, it almost looks like a crossbreed of some sort…part spider (but only has 6 legs), part scorpion, or some kind of beetle. I’m not a bug type person so forgive my ignorance. I’ve checked all over your site and haven’t found one like it. It was just under 2 inches long, and curled up some when I chased it down with some Raid. I live in Valley Center, CA. North San Diego County, where we have a lot of local pests including earwigs, scorpions, tarantulas, lizards & rattlesnakes. Please let me know if we have another we need to watch out for. Thank you.
Denise Harvey

Hi Denise,
We get so many letters requesting that the Potato Bug or Jerusalem Cricket be identified, that we always keep one on the homepage. It is harmless and not in any way responsible for your child’s fever.