can you identify the beetle in attached photo
I found two of these beetles on the farm where I live in eastern Iowa. Its body is about an inch long and its antenna are slightly longer. The body is tan with white (maybe light tan) spots as illustrated. The farm has a windbreak with white pines, spruce, mulberry, silver leaf maple, hackberry, and red oak. Also blackberries and raspberries.
Eugene Clark

Hi Eugene,
This is an Ivory Marked Beetle, Eburia quadrigeminata and the larvae bore in the wood of many hardwood trees including ash and hickory. Adults sometimes emerge years after milling. Adults are attracted to rotting fruit.

Correction: (10/13/2005) Saperda cretata or Eburia quadrigeminata ??
Dear Bugman, I have spent several hours cruising your website and find it all very fascinating ! I did find one misidentification, or perhaps I am wrong. Attached is a photo of a Cerambycid beetle that is common here in Georgia (I am an avid collector of beetles). I have come to know this beetle as being the “Ivory Marked Beetle” or Eburia quadrigeminata. I have seen this beetle posted twice on this website and it was identified as the Spotted Apple Borer (Saperda cretata). You say these beetles are active during the day. I know from my experience that they are found at night actively crawling on sick/dying hardwood trees. I have never seen nor collected one during the day. Is it S. cretata or is it E. quadrigeminata ???
George

Thanks George. One of our reliable sources steered us awry on this one. The correction is much appreciated.

One Response to Ivory Marked Beetle

1. juna robinson says:

I just had one of these nasty looking bugs on my umbrella outside – ewwwwww and it is 2:49 pm so yep they are out during the day…..