our baby dragon
My girlfriend and I have been feeding this little fella for a couple days. He seems only to like the leaves from her equally beloved lemon tree, however, and not the ones from any of the other flora. I’m surprised he hasn’t been eaten by any of the many birds that sit in the flower bed where we have him housed here in Southern California. We are just so grateful to have a bug friend that isn’t a @#$@#%@# spider, that we’re quite attached. Would love to know what he is though. As you can see, he’s got a caterpillar kind of body and then almost a fake head. And if you bug him a little (heh), he sticks out what looks like a red forked tongue (also pictured). Thanks for your help. Definitely thought I was in the running for weirdest bug in the neighborhood ’till I browsed your site a little.
d

Hi D,
The common name for your caterpillar is the Orange Dog because of its diet, often leaves from orange trees. Obviously, it also eats other citrus. This is the caterpillar of the Giant Swallowtail. Probably birds don’t bother it since the caterpillar has the appearance of bird droppings. Those orange horns are actually scent glands that give off a foul odor, another bird deterrent.

5 Responses to Orange Dog

1. Raj Patel says:

I have quite a few Orange Dog on my Lemon Tree. It does not bother me of eating few leaves. Is it OK to live it shop butterfly flies away or I need to get read of these. Please guide me as I do not like to kill Orange Dog if it is not harmful.

2. Nancy says:

Gotta admit, this is the ugliest of all. is there a way to get rid of them permanently or do we just have to ignore them? there must be some kind of a spray doesn’t there?

3. Francisco Hedio Mendes says:

Legal!!!! Para que exterminar bichinho tão simpático, apesar de sua voracidade pelas folhas do Limoeiro. Tenho várias e não me incomodam em nada.