what’s this bug?
First of all, We love your great web site! It is always one of the first listed when I google search for bugs with my daycare kids. You have gave us lots of great information in the past about spiders, beetles and most recently the praying mantis. We had one living on a scarlet runner bean plant right outside our back door and directly under the porch light (lots of dinner) for 5 weeks before it disappeared. This is the first time I’m emailed you with a question. I found this interesting alien-like fellow in the bottom of my pantry when I cleaned it this afternoon. I had discovered an old zip bag of walnuts that had small weevils in it (just the little tiny dark ones that often pop out in old bags of flour). I pulled everything out (nothing else appeared infested thank goodness) and this guy was jitterly trying to hide under everything I pulled out of the pantry. He is very frightened acting and seems very harmless, doesn’t seem to be able to fly or jump. He appears to be covered in flour or some other white hairy looking substance, but I didn’t have any flour spilled in the cupboard at all. I assume he is some type of panty weevil, but what??? I’ve never seen anything like it and have no idea what to do with it. I think the kids will all be very interested after they get up from their naps and get home from school to see it. If you could give me more information I would be thrilled!
Thanks so much!
Amy Cheeseman

Hi Amy,
We love hearing that people use the site for research instead of just sending in a photo. Most everything we get asked about has already been posted. This is a Masked Hunter, Reduvius personatus, one of the Assassin Bugs. It was probably feasting on the grain weevils before being displaced from its home. They also hunt Bedbugs.