caterpiller identy
i cant name it… would you beable to help. found on my house on the part just below the door. tomorrow in the sun if its still there ill try to take a better picture of it.

This is a Buckeye Butterfly Caterpillar, Junonia coenia. Our guess is that if you take a photo tomorrow, you will find something very different, a chrysalis. The position of the caterpillar, hanging head down with a “C” curve indicates this. The caterpillar left its food source, possibly Snap Dragons in your garden, and sought the side of the house as a safe place to pupate.

(10/03/2005) Buckeye Caterpillar update
thanks for letting me know what it was.. heres some new pictures taken today,

Correction (07/02/2006)
The caterpillar and pupae identified as Buckeye is a Variegated Fritillary. Do you know how to tell the difference between the Viceroy and Red-spotted Purple? I wrote about them a moment ago and later saw a response on your site which mentioned the similarity. I’ve reared hundreds but always together and never took the time to try to differentiate. Don’t forget to order your free butterfly eggs and free butterfly plant seeds!
Edith Smith
Shady Oak Butterfly Farm
Butterflies for Every Occasion! Celebratory Releases
12876 SW CR 231, Brooker, FL 32622
352-485-2458
http://www.butterfliesetc.com

One Response to Variegated Fritillary Caterpillar and next day Chrysalis (not Buckeye)

1. James Brown says:

Some tracks, such as butterfly-zebra, have a U-shaped iron (osmeteriyu) in the neck that releases a pungent odor to deter predators.