burrowing wasp
I spotted this wasp burrowing in my lawn today in Rockwall, TX. It doesn’t appear to be any of the species you’ve shown on your site (that I could find anyways). About an hour later, the burrow was completely filled in. Can you identify it? I also took a picture of a wasp dragging a spider about a year back, similar to the Tachypompilus post dated today. I have attached the picture if you’d like to use it.
Cool website.
Brian

Great Golden Digger WaspTachypompilus species

Hi Brian,
We actually do have images of Great Golden Digger Wasps, Sphex ichneumoneus, on our site. We are thrilled to post both of your images.

One Response to Great Golden Digger Wasp and Tachypompilus species with Wolf Spider

1. Katie says:

Brian,
    My dog got bit by a bee or spider this week and is having a severe reaction. (his skin is peeling)
    We found a bee nest near his run & today we found a bee which looks like the Great Digger Wasp taking a spider in it. My question is could my dog have been bit by the spider or stung by the bee. If stung by the bee would it have had the same stunning effect as on the spider. Prior to me taking dog to the vet he was staggering some. His skin is peeling between the eyes & near his rectum. We are treating him with antibiotics internally and externally. Should I control the bee population or the spiders.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Katie
    ps. I did take pictures