Caterpillar
I found this caterpillar crawling along the edge of my burning barrel. I have a caterpillar book, but I can’t find it in the book. Can you tell me what it is? I live in western Penna.
Nancy Murphy

Hi Nancy,
This looks like a Pale Tussock Moth, Halysidota tessellaris, also called the Banded Tussock Moth. It feeds on oaks, willows, poplars, hickories, and many other forest and shade trees

One Response to Pale Tussock Moth

1. scott sammons says:

Some type of small (2cm) moth invaded my honeybee hive. they left many silk type cocoons all over the hive, and it looked like thet actually ate a small groove into the wood on the inside of the hive. My bees left before the moths could get to the queen and i’m in process of repairing the hive for spring. Can you enlighten me on the type of moth they are and maybe how I can protect the bees when they return? Thanks for any help you can give… scott