I am doing an insect collection for my science class, and I have not been able to identify this insect. I think it is an assassin bug of some kind. I have searched all over the internet and have not been able to find anything that looks like it. It is about 27 millimeters long. I collected it in Hall County, Ga. Do you have any idea of what it might be?
Erin

Hi Erin,
We located your insect on line at the Angelfire site. It is a Bark Assassin, Hammatocerus purcis. The site states: “This may be the neatest of the Reduviids from the US. These Bark assassins are brightly colored and average an inch long (23-25mm). Adult may live up to a few years. They hide under bark by day and feed on many insects including crickets, cockroaches, and beetles by night. The bite, as with most Reduviids is very painful.” We feel that the scarcity of information on this insect online alludes to its rarity, and collecting it should guarantee you an A.

Ed. Note: (09/20/2005) We just got the following scientific name correction from Eric Eaton: “Bark assassin is Microtomus purcis. The genus name you used is simply outdated. “