bug ID, please…
We found this bug on the wall in a bathroom at the state park on Galveston Island, Texas. It is about 7mm long. It is very dark brown. It does not appear to have wings. We have taken some time to try to identify him and found several other insects for my son’s insect project on your site. We thought he was a Rove Beetle, but the size doesn’t match the descriptions we have seen. We are now stumped. Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated! I enjoyed browsing your site.
Jane

Hi Jane,
We wrote to Eric Eaton to get an exact species on your Walking Stick. Here is his answer: “Yep, two-striped walkingstick, Anisomorpha buprestoides. You know they can spray an obnoxious liquid from glands in their "neck," right? People who encounter them should be careful. The spray can cause temporary blindness. They’re pretty accurate, too! Eric”