Is this a moth?
I have several insects like that in the photo feeding on Floss flowers in my yard in Tucson, AZ. I have been unable to identify them in any of my insect identification references but it seems to have the characteristics of a diurnal moth. Am I correct and what is the species?
Bill Page

Hi Bill,
This is a diurnal moth, and Eric Eaton has substantiated our theory that it is in the genus Ctenucha. Sorry we haven’t a definitive species.

Thanks. Using your information, it appears to be Ctenucha venosa, Walker.
I typed Ctenucha into Google and this was about the third website listed. Thanks for your locating the Genus so I could find the species. The website showing the leads to the photos and the distribution may be found at: www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/ lepidoptera/ditrysia/noctuoidea/arctiidae/ctenuchinae/ctenucha/
From here I went to: nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/zeeb/butterflies/figs/ moths/Arctiidae/C_venosa.jpg to find the photo and to: www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/usa/1928.htm to find the range map. Thanks again,
Bill Page