Need Caterpillar ID Please
I was out in my front yard and noticed the lower branches of the oak tree were stripped but I didn’t see any swarm of bugs that you might expect on such a stripping of leaves. On close inspection right at the line where the stripped leaves and whole leaves meet (logical place to look right?) I find this guy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like this before and was wondering what it is. We are in Lawrenceville Georgia and the photo was taken yesterday (Sept 7, 2005) Feel free to use the photos for anything you like. I scoured your site and didn’t find anything close. It’s quite a large tree and the damage is minimal. Plus it’s almost fall anyway so I’m not looking to get rid of it or them. This is the only one I could find. I’m just currious and I spend a lot of time IDing snakes for people so figured it was my turn to “bug” someone 🙂 Thanks in advance for your help..Great site btw!
Brett Gardin

Hi Brett,
Great photos of the Checkered Fringe Prominent Moth Caterpillar, Schizura ipomoeae.

One Response to Checkered-Fringe Prominent

1. Kathryn Cleveland says:

I just noticed several of these eating the leaves on several of my trees. I’m near Griffin, GA, not far from Lawrenceville. They have a good disguise don’t they? I wonder what role the moths they will become play in the garden. Can anyone share?