Not Sure
Hello
I just found your web site as a "Site Of The Day" a was facsinated by the variety of bugs people see around there homes everyday. As it happens I had just taken a picture of a rather interesting looking Wasp/Bee in my backyard and was unsure what type it was. I checked in your site and could not find another that looked like it. I am from Belleville, Ontario, Canada and would appreciate any insite as to what this picture is of.
Thank You in Advance
Brian

Hi Brian,
This is a Bald Faced Hornet, one of the social paper wasps. Adults eat nectar and fruit juices. They are very protective of their nests, but otherwise not aggressive. Out of curiosity, who listed us as a Site of the Day?

One Response to Bald Faced Hornet

1. Shaaron Grogan-Sheahan says:

Thank you so much for this important service you provide. I was able to identify this particular hornet seen today among my raspberries and Turtlehead plants. I am beginning to take an interest in the types of pollinators I am seeing in my garden. Trying to build one that provides food and nesting. I live in Markham, Ontario.