hummingbird moth unidentified
Think I narrowed it down to Hummingbird Moth, but can not tell what kind. Our photos show very young species first sighted Aug. 2, 2005 and second multiple sighting 20 days later. Thanks! We though we were going crazy seeing a hummingbird that looked (per photos) like a moth. I thought we had a new breed of bird in our yard! It is unmistakeable moving like a hummer but when you see the photos you are in shock! It clearly looks somewhat more like a moth. (Interesting breeding, huh?) Could not identify this exact species. Can you help?? Your website however helpful did not have our little fellow pictured. Went to the US moth website and could not find ours. First noticed one August 2, 2005. Then August 22 saw two on the same flower. One was dark charcoal and shy. The other photographed and caramel brown in color, and a show-off to boot. We live in Montgomery (Lake Conroe area), Texas. This is in Montgomery, County, Texas. They visit just before dusk and love the Blue Plumbago. Photos of “baby Hummingbird” were taken Aug. 2, 2005. Photos of “2 baby Hummingbirds” were taken Aug. 22, 2005. Interesting to see the growth in 20 days… Will continue to watch, and snap more photos. 🙂
Greg

Tersa SphinxMournful Sphinx, maybe

Hi Greg,
First important lesson: There is no such thing as a baby moth. All moths are adults. They will not grow any larger. They grow as caterpillars and once they emerge from the pupa, they are fully grown adult moths. Second lesson. You have two different species. One is a Tersa Sphinx. The other is possibly Mournful Sphinx, Enyo lugubris, but we cannot tell for sure.

Location: Texas