Wasp
I was hoping you could tell me what kind of wasp makes these dirt “globes”? I saw the wasp, it flew in with a squirming green caterpillar. They wrestled for a bit among the impatients. The wasp won, then proceeded to stuff it’s prey into the top globe. The wasp was small and black with a bit of yellow; sorry I could not get a better picture of it. But you can see it has closed up the bottome two globes which I’m assuming hold prey for eggs inside to feed on?
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
The Potter Wasp, Eumenes fraternus, is black with yellow spots on face, thorax and abdomen and smoky wings. Adults drink nectar and young eat caterpillars. The female builds the squat spherical chanber of mud on a twig or branch, sometimes lining up several as your photograph indicates. The chambers are filled with anesthetized caterpillars. The chambers are rain-proof.

One Response to Potter Wasp

1. Ty Ireland says:

I was doing some yard work in my front yard, by my front door I saw a potter wasp on my stairs. When I took a closer look I saw the dirt chamber and not wanting a wasp nest, I sprayed it with water then knocked it away with a stick. That is when I saw the green worms. They freaked me out a little bit. When I was done with my work I came inside to find out what the wasp and green worms were.