Safe or unsafe bug in SC?
Hello:
My name is Bob Stark and I’ve recently moved to Little River, SC (North Myrtle Beach). This is a picture of an insect which we’ve been told is poisonous, and I would like to know if that is correct. Our home is 4 miles from the shore, and our backyard is bordered by a field. I’m guessing that the smaller one is the male, and that since this is late summer, it is mating season. Am I correct? This insect clings to our siding and at night, will cling on our screens, if we have an inside light on. When we moved in, the local movers refused to bring our furniture through the garage until we removed this insect, claiming it was poisonous. Our dog approached it, and apparently got sprayed in the face as she got near. I; however, got no reaction as I moved it along off our home. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide as to it’s name and safety, as our Grandson visits from time to time, and I would like to provide him with the correct stats on this insect. For example: does is bite, sting, spray?
Sincerely,
Bob Stark

Hi Bob,
This is a pair of Two-lined Walkingsticks, Anisomorpha buprestoides, also known as Musk-Mares or Devil Riders because of their habit of remaining in coitus for extremely long periods of time. The male is much smaller than the female. Beware!! They do not bite but they can spray a noxious substance from their necks that is painful if it gets in your eye.