Dear Bugman:
This caterpillar was found in my yard in Coppell , Texas (North Texas ). It is soft and when it latches onto a twig or blade of grass it really grabs on. I’d like to know what kind of caterpillar it is and what it turns into. Thank you!
Valarie

Hi Valarie,
In some areas, the Puss Moth Caterpillar has the local common name Asp. These caterpillars have stinging hairs that cause skin irritation.

Location: Coppell, Texas

7 Responses to Asp

1. Phoebe says:

got stung twice it is so painful. It is so creepy too!

2. margie oconnell says:

The stinging asp, or puss caterpillar, stings like nothing else I’ve ever been stung by. The sting from this creature can make you very sick. I was stung on the inner thigh by one and in addition to the pain at the site of the sting, the lymph nodes in my groin enlarged, my stomach began cramping and I had to go home from school. Avoid them like the plague.

Many years ago we created a Big 5 tag for bugs with painful or dangerous stings or bites. We never included the Asp. Your comment is prompting us to remedy that, though the Big 5 now includes more than five bugs.

3. darren says:

To add to what has already been said.which all true.this Asp will create a nice perfume smell to lure u in, there kind of cute, then if they sense u.they will give off the scent.I unfortunately lend in to smell her on a leaf & pow it lit my nose on fire.I had trouble seeing,most of my face had a rash,&even blisters.I was miserable for about 2 days. In Summary this Asp should be the front runner of bug stings. Thx, Stay away from them.

4. Karen says:

I was stung by an asp when I was a kid while growing up in Houston, Tx, never forgot it. My mother soaked my arm in ice water for a while, I still have the scar from that sting on my arm and that was nearly 50 years ago. I live in Tn now, people here have never heard of an asp, must be a bug that lives only in the deep south.

5. Andrew says:

I just got stung by one, and had no idea what it was. I actually laid down on it, and it was already dead. It stung my shoulder blade, and felt like a burn. Almost an hour later, and it is still throbbing.