two buggy things
First off, I’m now totally hooked! Many of the killer bad bugs have been ID’d and we can breathe easier knowing they are not killer bugs after all. My kids and I have had the camera with us now whenever we go out because we never know when we’ll get a good shot. OK, the first one is of two tiny mantis looking bugs. They are maybe 1/2 inch long, can fly, and have those praying type of front legs. We were wondering if the mantis looking bugs were in fact tiny mantis critters (hope pic is clear enough).We live in SE CT.
Thanks so much,
Erika

Hi Erika,
Your mantis bugs are Ambush Bugs, Family Phymatidae, and they are mating. They wait on flowers to ambush nectar seeking insects.

One Response to Ambush Bugs Mating

1. drswanny says:

These are ambush bugs and in southeastern Connecticut, they are either Phymata a. americana or Phymata pennsylvanica. Unfortunately, a species ID is not possible from this photograph.

Just to clarify, they are NOT mating. Mating takes place with the male gripping the side of the female; the depicted behavior, usually called coupling, may improve the odds of taking prey, although I’m not exactly sure.

Additional clarification, there has been some consensus as to the relationships of these insects to other assassin bugs and they are now unequivocally treated as Reduviidae: Phymatinae.