Tersa Sphinx?
I followed this from caterpillar to chrysalis to moth. I wish I had taken some snaps of the caterpillar but I thought it might be a Palamedes Swallowtail (though it had a single horn that the swallowtail doesn’t). I was pretty surprised at what came out. I think that I have identified it as a Tersa Sphinx. I live in northeast Florida.
Richard Kevin Sharbaugh

Hi Richard,
Your Tersa Sphinx, Xylophanes tersa, metamorphosis images are a welcome addition to our site. Here is a list of larval food plants from the USGS site: Smooth buttonplant (Spermacoce glabra), starclusters (Pentas species), Borreria, Catalpa, and Manettia species.

2 Responses to Tersa Sphinx Metamorphosis

1. Vicki says:

I have five of these eating a pot of Pentas. what do I do with them please?

Pentas are a favored food plant, and as long as you try growing Pentas in areas where Tersa Sphinxes are found, you will likely encounter caterpillars on your plants. You can try relocating them to another food plant. According to Sphingidae of the Americas: “I often get questions about these larvae due to their voracious appetites for garden penta species. Larvae also feed on Borreria, Catalpa and Manettia spp. and Smooth buttonplant (Spermacoce glabra) and starclusters (Pentas species). They are also recorded on joe-pie weed and Hamelia patens. Lawrence E. Gilbert reports larvae on Hedyotis nigricans (Rubiaceae) at the field station in Austin (Brackenridge Field Laboratory), Texas. Frank Wiseman reports them on Heimia salicifolia (Hachinal).”