Vega Sphinx Moth?
Good Day!
I found your site while trying to ID this pretty, VERY green sphinx moth, and think I found it thanks to your links, at:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/az/1098.htm
So, I wondered if you’d like to see my photo, since I don’t see this moth on your site. This photo is NOT colour-retouched – she really IS this colour! I’ve had lots of other “hummingbird sphinxes”, but this one is quite a bit smaller and I didn’t see her fly, so I’m glad she has that “ruffle” where the hind wings peek out or I’d not have known how to start searching. Although the “probable” egg host is evening primrose, those aren’t currently in bloom around my property (01aug05), so I hope she isn’t in a hurry to lay eggs – my potted tomato plant is full of “spots”, however, so maybe she is the culprit? There are lots of ripe/rotting prickly pear fruits, so I wonder if she’s feeding on those…. Thank you SO much for your generous sharing of time and talent to create your website for the rest of us! As many others have written, I only wish I’d known of your site years ago – would have saved me a lot of searching on many, many insects! I’m now off to see if I can put “names to faces” for many other photos I’ve currently got filed under “Mystery Insects”!
elo
Green Valley , AZ (between Tucson and Mexico )

Hi elo,
So sorry about the delay in responding to your lovely photo. Our mom arrived the day your letter did and it somehow got lost in the shuffle for a week. Your photo of the Vega Sphinx, Proserpinus vega, is much more beautiful than the mounted one in the link you provided, and we are proud to post it.

Ed. Note: (11/21/2005) We just got the following correction from Jim Tuttle.
I enjoy scrolling through your website periodically, and from a practical point of view I am always looking for interesting records, food plants, and range extensions for the Sphingidae, although I always take notes of the Saturniidae too. Good job, it is a useful tool for the nature lover or the frantic gardener. I casually noted two id’s that need correcting. Vega Sphinx from Green Valley 8/2/2005 is actually Proserpinus terlooii. Keep up the good work!!
Regards,
Jim Tuttle