Interesting Bug
I’m assuming this is the male, given the extra ornateness; I got a picture of the presumed female, but unfortunately it’s very poor quality and she’s barely visible. I saw this fellow in a park nearby. He was crawling around, and headed toward me; I moved several times and he tracked me each time. I think he was just looking for something climb on – the female showed up a few minutes later, and he climbed up on the post that he’s next to in this picture, and arched his back and spread his wings, just holding the pose. He’s pretty good size – I’d say 5-6 inches, stem to stern. He had a couple of pincer-like appendages on his tail, of a fleshy material, similar to what’s on his head, but shorter. Unfortunately they’re folded under him in this picture. I have never seen anything like this. Any idea what it is?
Alan Little

Hi Alan,
Nice photo of a Male Dobsonfly. We were getting several letters a day in May and June and not so many in July regarding this fascinating insect.