Is it a bee?
I found this insect late in the evening on my porch. I live north of San Antonio, Texas. It is about an 1 – 1 1/4 inch (body length). It is black with one spot of yellow on its thorax and yellow between and below each eye. The wings are brown. All the legs are furry and the hind legs have furry patches. It looks like a very large bee, but in trying to identify this insect the only thing that even remotely resembles it, is the carpenter bee, but the markings are no where near similar. Could you please help me identify this insect. Thank you!!!!
Jamie Miller

Hi Jamie,
We located your Robber Fly, one of the Bee Hunters, on BugGuide. It is the Southern Bee Killer, Mallophora orcina. Adults feed on honey bees which the descend upon rapidly while the bee is unsuspecting. They sieze the bee by the thorax so the stinger cannot be used. Nice photo.