Please help ID this late-night bug 🙂
Hi folks! We spotted this wasp/moth tonight in our porch light and were wondering if you could help us ID it. We are in East Texas – Humble, to be exact. Thank you for any assistance you can give us!
Michael-Ann Belin & Jade Delorme
Humble, Texas

Hi Michael-Ann Belin & Jade Delorme
We just love getting new critters for our database. This is a Mydas Fly, Family Mydidae. Your species looks like Mydas clavatus. Adults are predatory and resemble wasps or robber flies. Adults eat caterpillars, other flies, bees, and true bugs. Larvae prey upon insects in the soil, especially June Beetle larvae. Though this fly appears sluggish, it is a rapid flier.

3 Responses to Mydas Fly

1. D.L. Hubbard says:

Mydas Fly in Gila Bend, AZ
    /Users/Hubbard/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/07/31/20150731-173624/yWg03wpnSzmXeOLvJWl9vQ/thumb_IMG_3558_1024.jpg

2. Todd says:

We just found a large one in our backyard today (7/20/2019) in metro Phoenix, Arizona. It looked just like the picture above, black upper-body and wings with a full orange-lower body. It was huge, about 2 inches. We captured it in a jar and inspected it before letting it go. It certainly looked like a giant fly with the shape of the eyes, long mouth parts, legs and antenna.
    I’ve lived in Arizona my whole life and never seen one before. Are they native to Arizona?

3. Denise McVay says:

I saw an orange banded Mydas fly on a flower in Attica, NY. It appeared to be mating with a smaller, clear-winged fly. The wings had black veins. I have not seen this smaller one on any of the Mydas fly sights I have visited so far.