Also, I dont know how much you might know about snails, But I have these really pretty ones living on pieces of scrap wood at the base of my tree. I did move them so I could take pictues, But no worries, I put them back 😀 If you could tell me what kind these lovely snails are, It would be much appreciated.
Thank you much for all your help
Mikie

We don’t recognize this snail, but are working on it.

Update (02/07/2006)
Mystery Snail
I was checking out your site and think its a great resource. I noticed on your slug section someone submitted a picture of a snail on 7-17-05. If this was taken in the USA it is an exotic snail. Most likely the brown lipped snail Family Helicidae-Cepaea nemoralis. There is many color variations of this species. This snail is well established in the Eastern United States. It is hard to give a final ID without pictures of the under side. There is also other Cepaea spp. that are not known to occur in the US and are of interest to the USDA. My job involves exotic pests and I am on the constant look out for them. Keep up the great wor.
k Brian Sullivan
Plant Health Safeguarding Specialist
Attached is a picture I took of Emerald Ash Borer in Michigan I hope your readers are on the look out for this pest.

Update (02/26/2006)
Yes, I agree with Brian Sullivan that this is a Cepaea, almost certainly Cepaea nemoralis, the brown-lipped garden snail. As Brian says, in the US it is introduced from Europe, and tends to be spread in soil with plantings from nurseries. In this very attractive-looking species, the shell can be yellow, or a pretty reddish-brown, and the shell can have no bands, or up to 5 bands. The one pictured seems to be sub-adult, and so it does not have the thickened lip. When they reach adult size, the lip of the shell thickens, and is almost always brown in this species.
Best to you,
Susan J. Hewitt

One Response to Mystery Snails

1. James Kissane says:

I live in Westchester, NY. Just north of the city. I often find these guys(almost identical with a few color variations) on a bridge I pass on my way to work. Thanks for the info guys!