Beetle?
I normally can figure out what kind of bug I have, but this one has me stumped. I still have it in the freezer. I am in the middle of getting a new camera with a better close up lens also I am an insect collector with over 250 different species represented as of last count in October. I found this one in Alexandria Virginia on something similar to a Hosta leaf. Although I didn’t look closely at the plant, I suspect that the insect was more or less passing through and the plant it was on has nothing to do with the insect. Please note that this picture is a posed shot with a dead insect. Any help would be appreciated.
Craig McBurney

Hi Craig,
Not a beetle at all. Beetles have chewing mandibles and complete metamorphosis. This is an immature Assassin Bug. They are predators with sucking mouthparts. Sorry, cant tell the species.

2 Responses to Immature Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

This a late instar wheel bug (Arilus cristatus) nymph.