Wasp identification needed
Hey there,
First things first – GREAT SITE!! Trying to do a what’s this? on the “new tenants” at the farm. My husband and I finally got back up to the farm (truck repairs – done! 🙂 ) and on our drive around he spotted these guys in the shrubs. Not quite sure what they are. Definitely wasps, maybe hornets. They have a white face and their abdomen is white with black stripes. The nest is “paper” and approximately 12″ x 12″ = HUGE. We weren’t too fired up about getting real close, although I was tempted (another good picture for me) and we kept the windows up in the truck! They’ve been working on this about 4 weeks, at least that’s how long it’s been since I was here – trimming the shrubbery.
Thank you much,
Debora and Randy W.
Person County, North Carolina

Hi Debora and Randy,
By all means, do not try to get us a close-up of the Bald Faced Hornets, Vespula maculata, busily building their nest. They are very aggressive and defensive of their nest. They will sting repeatedly if disturbed.

Location: North Carolina